What is baby led weaning?
Baby led weaning is all about letting your baby feed themselves safely. Instead of spoon feeding them, you present them with their food on their high chair and allow them to try and feed it to themselves. There are many benefits associated with baby led weaning, including improved hand-eye coordination and chewing skills. Whether you choose to opt for traditional weaning or baby led, it’s completely up to you!
Baby Led Weaning Ideas
It’s important to make sure you’re prepared for a little mess as food is likely to end up on the floor and on your bub. Once you accept that, why not try some of these ideas for stimulating self-feeding:
- Eat together as a family: It’s great to allow your baby to sit at the dinner table in their high chair with your family while eating, to help introduce them to the pleasures of eating together.
- Give your baby ingredients that make up your own meal
- Cut their finger food into thin, long strips as they will likely pick it up with their whole palm.
- Dress your bub in a little art smock or apron instead of the bib if they’re really messy.
For some instant advice, take a look at our blog article on baby eating now.
Baby led weaning recipes
Some of our favourite things to offer children when self-feeding include:
- Fruit slices like melon, mango, banana or roasted apple
- Roasted sweet potato
- Roasted broccoli
- Slices of toast
- Soft avocado slices
If you’re looking for proper recipes, we recommend the Weaning book by Annabel Karmel. It’s a great option for further advice and recipes for both traditional and baby led weaning. We also love the Foods Babies Love book by Emily Dupuche, filled with over 90 simple yet delicious recipes.
Baby Led Weaning Australia
At the memo, we stock a range of helpful essentials to make weaning your baby as fuss-free as possible. Discover our dishwasher-safe bibs, toxic-free sippy cups, weaning bottles from Subo, illustrated plate sets, stylish and functional high chairs, spoon sets, and other gorgeous eating utensils. We accept payments via AfterPay and zip, to give you the utmost flexibility to pay for your products the way it suits you. Additionally, we offer free delivery on all orders over $99, a click and collect service for our Victorian customers and easy returns within 30 days. Find everything you need to make the transition from breast or bottle feeding to food as easy as possible at the memo.
Discover our full feeding collection now.